Minutes – July 6, 2016

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, July 6, 2016



The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 1:30pm by Garveen in the BPK Seminar Room.


In Attendance:

Garveen, Matt, Megan, Erina, Bader, Caleb, Elaine, Emily, Joanne, Kirstin, Debbie, Lisa


Open Issues:


1) Clothing Sale

-last day to drop off orders was today

-lots of orders were placed for the new hoodies and lots of old t-shirts and dri-fits sold!

-Matt will place the order today and the clothes should arrive within the next few weeks


2) BPK Kickoff

-Nick our contact from Rec said we should be able to book a gym

-Erina will talk to the Neuromechanics lab and Megan will talk to Physio

-Lisa & Elaine are continuing to work on the booklet

-need to set up a WebSurvey for registration

-will start advertising mid to late August


3) BPK Orientation/Welcome Day

-tentative schedule:

2:15-2:30 pm: Registration (maybe in BPK Seminar Room?)

2:30-2:35 pm: Migrate for icebreakers (maybe book a gym/field or use field near TASC)

2:35-3:10 pm: Icebreaker

3:10-3:15 pm: Migrate for Career Development Workshop

3:15-3:45 pm: Career Development Workshop (will need to book a room for this)

3:45-3:50 pm: Migrate to Speaker Series (BPK Seminar Room?)

3:50-4:30 pm: Speaker Series + Refreshments (will also need a room for this)

4:30 pm: Wrap-up + Swag Bags

-for the speakers would like to have a research prof (Tom or Victoria Claydon), lecturer (Diana Bedoya or Richard Ward), PhD (Christina Hull) and Master’s student (Brent Flodin)

-Megan will contact Brent

-Erina will contact Diana

-Garveen will contact Christina & Victoria

-need to carefully design the speaker series so students aren’t afraid to ask questions yet at the same time are able to hear about each speaker’s story – could model it similar to Career Night (each panel member speaks about themselves for a few minutes then open up the floor to questions) or Tea at Ten (no formal introductions just an opportunity to mingle)

-Kirstin had an idea for an icebreaker game involving the circulation through the heart and an obstacle course


4) Summer Kin Cup

-Matt spoke to the grad students and it seems to be a busy time for them

-the UPC meetings have been cancelled as well so a lot of the faculty may be going on vacation

-will unfortunately have to cancel it for this summer


5) BPKSA Hike

-last week of July we would like to go on a group hike instead of having a meeting

-Garveen will send out a Doodle poll to figure out what day/time works best




The meeting of the BPKSA was adjourned by Garveen at 2:20pm in the BPK Seminar Room. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 1:30pm in the BPK Seminar Room.