Minutes – June 29, 2016

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, June 29, 2016



The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 1:30pm by Garveen in the BPK Seminar Room.


In Attendance:

Garveen, Kirstin, Erina, Emily, Alam, Bader, Matt, Elaine, Caleb, Darleen, Lisa, Joanne


Open Issues:


-Lisa, the new communications assistant came by & introduced herself.

-BPKSA Meetings will now be held in the BPK Seminar Room instead (K9624)


1) BPK Clothing Sale

-From July 4-6th from 11 am – 2 pm

-will be selling the remaining clothing items + collecting orders

-we will be accepting cash/cheques

-Doodle Poll for shifts has been sent out – please show up to your shifts!


2) BPK Grad Lounge

-Matthew Lloyd (the BPK Graduate Student’s President) informed Garveen that the graduate students have been complaining about BPKSA members using the graduate lounge outside of meeting times

-The terms for the use of the grad lounge are following:

  1. The lounge should only be used by members of the BPKSA for meetings, and not outside of those meetings unless the member is a part of a BPK lab.


  1. The code for the lounge should be known and shared to only the President or Vice-President of the BPKSA.


  1. The GSA reserves the right to revoke the offer of the use of the lounge for meetings if we feel that these terms are not being followed.

-please be sure to follow these terms otherwise the BPKSA’s priveledges may be revoked


2) Burma Border Project Funding Request 

-Katrina Koehn emailed and said the ideal deadline would be from mid-July for funding

-She also skyped with Darleen and is hoping to set up international co-op jobs with this organization

-Will also be meeting with Amy Lee, Isabella (HSCI Co-op), & Dean of HSCI to see this off since HSCI funds a lot of international co-ops in Nepal & India

-Katrina will be the spokesperson for this if everything works out

-BPKSA will be contributing $150 from the external


3) BPK Fall Kickoff

-Will be on September 15, 2016

-Darleen said she is willing to be a speaker à Garveen will confirm this

-SFU Rec & Physio Tours

-Debbie will contact Nick Sirski for Rec tours & Megan will speak to SFU Physio

-Lab Tours

-Erina will confirm with the Neuromuscular Mechanics Lab

-CV Lab is ready to go (Garveen will send them a schedule of the event)

-Locomotion Lab (Dr. Max Donelan) will be a back up


-Matt will email the new undergraduates in mid-August

-We will begin classroom presentations once classes start up as well

-Elaine will be working on updating the booklet with Lisa

-Elaine will work on updating the Bingo game (Matt compiled a list of BPK professors currently active in BPK & sent it to Elaine)

-We will be putting in an updated photo of the current BPKSA members that will take place on Wednesday, July 6th at 2:30 (Remember to wear your BPK gear)!


4) BPK Orientation

-Ideas for the Orientation (September 9th) were also discussed

-We need to come up with a new name for it as well

-Ideas for the orientation that came up include:

-Icebreaker and game — Kirstin will be working on putting these together

-career development workshops – Erina will work on these

-speaker series?

-will be from 2:30-4:30 pm


5) Summer KIN Cup

-Debbie reported back on gym/field bookings & informed us that all gyms and fields are booked for July

-she will look into whether the gyms or fields are available for the evenings

-Matthew (GSA president) sent out a doodle poll asking the graduate students if they are interested

-this event may be scrapped if gym bookings don’t work out of if graduate students aren’t up for it




The meeting of the BPKSA was adjourned by Garveen at 2:15 pm in room K9642. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 1:30pm in room K9624.