Minutes – May 19, 2017

Meeting Minutes

Friday, May 19, 2017



The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 11:30am by Crystal in the BPK Conference Room.


In Attendance:

Crystal, Megan, Brandon, Emily B, Erina, Ningning, Leo, Joseph, Jaskarn, Natalie, Katie, Tyler, Sonya


Open Issues:

Clubs Days

-Thank you to those who helped out at the table!

-It was pretty quiet overall, likely because there are less students on campus for the summer semester, but we did get a few new sign up


Walk to Fight Arthritis

-1km or 5km walk on Sun June 4th @ 10am

-We will create a team for it; Crystal will let Sophie know


The Princeton Review

-The discount offer seems to have changed

-We will look at other organizations to see what discounts they offer before renewing



-new messaging platform we decided to use to help plan events

-if you have not received an email from Brandon and would like to join the site, please email him at bla101@sfu.ca


Science Undergraduate Send-Off

-SUS is having their first ever send-off event (a cocktail reception followed by entry to the Cabana Lounge) and has asked us to help support the event

-Erina motioned to allocate $50 from core to the Science Undergraduate Society for the Send-Off. Jaskarn seconded it. The motion was unanimously passed.


Clothing Sale

-decided to not have a clothing sale in the summer, will wait until fall

-instead will do a back to school stationary sale near the end of the summer semester and again at the beginning of the fall semester

-can sell pens, notebooks, binders, etc with our BPK logo

-in regards to the pinnies we ordered last semester, we want to keep the design general (i.e. SFU BPK vs Kin Cup) so we can use the pinnies at various events throughout the year (i.e. Kin Cup, BPK 101, Walk to Fight Arthritis)

-thinking of using the ECG logo, can send this to Brent and he has offered to do the design for us


Summer Kin Cup

-can be more laid back vs the winter Kin Cup as we don’t know what the attendance will be like so this way we can improvise with size of teams, size of playing field, etc on the day of the event

-Sports: ultimate, soccer & kickball (this way we can bring our own equipment and not pay to rent)

-Time: late June/early July to go with midterm schedules

-Katie will talk to Rec to see when/if fields are free; hopefully can get a time in the late afternoon/early evening


BPK 101

-would like to improve the event this year based off of last year’s feedback we collected

-can start to think about which prof & TA we would like to invite, think having only two is better vs having a panel of speakers

-would like to give out swag bags again: can use some of the stationary we will have from the sale, Frisbee, Survival Guide

-include more icebreaker games (i.e. human pyramid, mafia, werewolf, capture the chicken)


BPK Kickoff

-no date set for the BBQ yet, will wait until we hear from the department

-need to try and make the BPKSA’s presence more known as lots of students attend this event



-at next week’s meeting will take some more casual pictures of the group and exec team so they can be shared on our website, Facebook & Instagram to get the word out about our new exec team!



The meeting of the BPKSA was adjourned by Crystal at 12:20pm in the BPK Conference Room. The next meeting will be held on Friday May 26, 2017 at 11:30am in the BPK Conference Room.