Minutes – October 22, 2015

Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association

Meeting Minutes

Thursday, October 22, 2015



The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 11:30am by Loryn in the BPK Graduate Student Lounge.


In Attendance:

Loryn, Garveen, Megan, Meghan, Jake, Shaila, Sam, Kirsten, Erina


Open Issues:


1) Careers in BPK

-Jake and Ashly haven’t heard back to from their PT contacts yet

-Steven and Shaila also know PTs that graduated from BPK so they can ask them as back ups

-no new ideas for OTs or PTs


2) Clothing

-Sam talked to Ty and he can create a new design, he just is worried that the Purkinje cell with the words added may look more like a tree

-Shaila will try to find a bigger, better quality picture of a Purkinje cell so that there are no issues with it when we print the design

-we will collect the clothing orders next week- Tues and Wed are looking a little empty so please sign up for a shift on the Doodle poll! (http://doodle.com/poll/pr8n5bzsvc6vepwd)


3) Social Event

-The Hive doesn’t require up to make a reservation as they aren’t that busy on Friday nights and also don’t require a deposit beforehand

-will ask Matt to create a Facebook event within the next week to put the word out (Garveen can if he can’t)

-we can still wait to apply for a grant until we have solid numbers


4) BodyWorlds

-there are 50 students from 326 confirmed on the WebSurvey, Diana will get another confirmation from the 326 students as the number may go down now that we are closer to the event

-Diana will send another WebSurvey link to Loryn so she can email it to the undergrads to see if anyone else is interested

-we still agree to subsidize up to $4.75 per ticket so the cost is $15


5) Department Updates

-concerning the new grading scheme, the department was trying to standardize things and the statistical analysis revealed that 92% was a common average for the A+ cutoff

-this is a tool to help students in cases where there is a new prof teaching a class so they are aware what the grade distribution traditionally looks like so skewed grades are not given out

-they also have established a new protocol where profs at the beginning of the semester must clearly outline what their expectations are and what traditional grade distributions have been so there is more transparency

-the teaching evaluation forms are in the process of changing so that some questions can be customized (profs can ask questions unique to the course) and they may move to an online based system rather than the Scantrons

-they are placing a limit on labs so they only hold a max of two USRA awards at one time to try and help spread the students out among more labs

-they are in the process of creating a new molecular physiology based lab course (no name or number yet, thinking of a 300 or 400 level course)

-they also want to hold another department BPK social event (besides the BBQ and YEP), but unsure who it will be open to (faculty, grads, undergrads?)

-we think it will be popular with the undergrads that are involved in the department/labs but it may not be popular amongst the entire general undergrad population

-we think that a Christmas party may be a good idea

-Darleen also wants to keep better track of BPK undergrads that are accepted into grad programs so please keep her updated on this



The meeting of the BPKSA was adjourned by Loryn at 12:10pm in the BPK Graduate Student Lounge. The next meeting will be held on Thursday, October 29, 2015 in the BPK Graduate Student Lounge.