The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 1:00pm by Jordan in the BPK Graduate Students Lounge.
Jordan, Emily C, Emily P, Omid, Arash, Brian, Katie, Jaskarn, Crystal, Alam, Aaron, Ivy, Sonya, Ran, Erina
1) Aaron’s BPK Flow Chart
-Aaron has created a flow chart involving all BPK courses and streams to map prerequisites
-Base flow chart busy and intimidating
-Improve by breaking up into each stream and/or year
-Based of Psychology course map
-BPK has a lot of course, which makes map complicated
-Checklist may be better
-Combine list with basic map?
2) Year End Party
-50 people attended, 53 tickets sold
-Location at DAC – main floor with view was nice
-Food was excellent
-Relaxed and fun, not focused on networking with professors à need more events like this
-To improve for next year:
-Probably would have had a better turnout if scheduled the week before (too close to finals)
-Would more people come if the party was after exams? Students from out of town will have already left
-Advertising – more classroom presentations needed
-Conflict with SFU Athletics event, scheduled on same day
-Connect people at different tables
-More interaction between undergrads, grads, and profs
-More time before food comes out
-Icebreaker game involving representatives from each table
-Unscramble profs names
-Trivia questions à more general Kin questions, less history
-Draw Tony playing his favourite sport
3) Summer Semester
-Who will be here to attend meetings: Arash, Emily C, Katie, Jaskarn, Crystal, Erina
-Who can help but will not be able to attend most meetings: Megan, Emily P, Ran, Omid
-Have food at first meeting of each semester to encourage people to come
-Create Facebook poll for new meeting time to reach people who do not see emails
-President, Vice President, Treasurer, Promotional Coordinator, External Relations Officer positions will be open
-Erina open to training new Kin Department Representative throughout the summer (position will be available in the Fall)
-Description of positions on BPKSA website
-Follow up with BPK 101 students and promote attending meetings
4) Meeting with Cady
-Set up meeting after exams
-Wanting to get to know executive members who will be here in the Fall to continue relationship
5) Thoughts for Next Year
-Make a calendar for the year with approximate time of each event
-Approximate budget for core events to see how much is left over for social events and informal study sessions
-Do we have the budget to book a room every other week as study space with snacks provided?
-Book room for meetings (AQ or TASC2 tutorial room) instead of using BPK Graduate Student Lounge
-Bring up BPK undergraduate student common room to department
1) Jordan motioned to reimburse Megan $408.13 from core for pinnies purchased for Kin Cup. Omid seconded it. Motion was passed unanimously.
2) Ran motioned to reimburse Megan $201.43 from core for headphones purchased for prizes. Katie seconded it. Motion was passed unanimously.
3) Crystal motioned to reimburse Omid $30.44 from core for pizza purchased for March 23rd meeting. Jordan seconded it. Motion was passed unanimously.
4) Brian motioned to reimburse Arash $148.47 from core for prizes purchased for the Year End Party. Erina seconded it. Motion was passed unanimously.
5) Emily P motioned to reimburse the BPK Department $143.35 from core for table throw. Ran seconded it. Motion was passed unanimously.
The meeting of the BPKSA was adjourned by Jordan at 2:00pm in the BPK Graduate Students Lounge. Date and time of the next meeting TBA.