Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association
Wednesday, May 25th, 2016
The meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 1:32pm by Loryn in the BPK Graduate Student Lounge.
Alum, Joanne, Jimmy, Garveen, Matt, Kirsten, Erina
1) BPK Undergraduate Feedback Survey
– will send out final reminder to undergrads via BPKSA Facebook page and SFU e-mails
– Will close surveys at midnight on Sunday, May 29th, 2016.
- Have finalized the date to meet Angie as the meeting on June 15th, 2016 at 1:30pm in the BPK Conference room.
- Ideas to address common themes seen in survey responses:
- Invite the undeclared students to the other resources available such as Facebook group so they get access to info even if they are not on the mailing list
- Make a BPK specific welcome package – declared majors (ie. direct entrance from high school and transfer students) – how to get involved, career planning, know the profs, etc.
- BPK executive survival guide for future generations.
- BPK recruitment – club day, in class presentation, free BPK clothing giveaway for students who come to 5 consecutive meetings
- BPK orientation – consideration of doing it before school begins or the first weekend of school begins to avoid conflicts with class.
- May have to be separate from BPK Kickoff
- Inclusion of workshops and speaker presentations about career development and stress management etc.
- Career development workshops independent of orientation for students in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and up on a more regular basis (ie. a few times a semester) and increase awareness of available resources such as career advising.
2) SUS Update
– In process of changing alcohol spending to 7% of all funding compared to current limited spending accounts
- SUS is trying to see if it is plausible to combine career nights into a career week with the other sciences
- BPKSA concern is that it will change the traditional January Career night schedule. TBA.
3) Summer Plans
– Summer clothing sale with remaining inventory combined with recruitment
– Kin Cup Summer edition was suggested by Tony
– Members will brainstorm additional ways we can address the topics covered and resume next week.
The meeting of the BPKSA was adjourned by Loryn at 12:10pm in the BPK Graduate Student Lounge. The next meeting will be held on Thursday, October 29, 2015 in the BPK Graduate Student Lounge.