Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology Student Association
October 21th, 2009
- The regular meeting of the BPKSA was called to order at 12:31pm on October 14th, 2009 in TASC 2 7540 by John Abreu-Lanza.
- John, Lauren, Torny, Brent, Lucia, Marissa, Matt, Sandra, Brett, Stephanie and Darleen.
Approval of Agenda
- The agenda was unanimously approved as distributed.
Approval of Minutes
- The minutes of the previous meeting were unanimously approved as distributed.
- Careers in Kin
- Brent: Roger Takahashi is available Saturday January 16th & 23rd, as well as Monday January 11th & 25th, but only from 2:30pm-3:30pm.
- Issue: We would like to keep it in Geek week.
- Stephanie: Suggests that we get Roger Takahashi as a guest speaker January 25th during Geek week and have CiK follow later in the week.
- Darleen will look into rooms for him and will confirm and cc Brent
- Room suggestions: AQ 3180 & AQ 3182, West mall 3520, Blusson Hall somewhere. Looking for a room with about a 150 person capacity.
- We need to come up with a list of possible questions for Takahashi and forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org so John can forward them to Darleen.
- Pre-registration on simplicity
- Have pre-registration so we can e-mail those interested if we have to change the room or cancel. We want to have a room that we can fill to capacity, so a room change may be necessary.
- Co-op student will come up with some advertizing and decorate one of the cases in the Kin wing.
- Draw prize
- We will take care of getting something
- Possible voucher for Canucks jersey
- Thank you prize
- Kin swag for Takahashi
- We will have to have the clothing done by then
- Dates for Cik:
- Tuesday January 26th or Wednesday January 27th
- Would prefer to keep in Geek week, but the date for this is flexible.
- Location: Try for the Applied Science building and IRMACS again.
- Darleen and Cheri will look into this location and possible others
- Ideas for changes from last year:
- Try to send out information on the speakers ahead of time
- Have 3 breakout sessions instead of 4 because last year the night was really long
- Lab tours: Last year we have 3 groups of 8 students
- Darleen will ask Tom Clayton if he wants to organize the lab tours with the grad students
- Ideas: Have the lab tours first or as on option for the first breakout session
- John will e-mail out the list of speakers from last year
- Background areas decided on are Kin, Medical & Med students, Physiotherapy, Chiropractics, OT and Athletic Therapists.
- Have professionals and current students for that field in each group
- Have 5 areas for each breakout session and students can chose to go to 3 over the course of the night
- Possible Speaker Contacts:
- Shawna Mann – Med Student, SFU Grad
- Andrew Wong – Med Student, SFU Grad
- Eugene & Ann Lee – Chiropractors, friends parents
- Not SFU Grads
- Chris Wong – In Physiotherapy school in Australia
- Rob – Paramedic, old friend
- Pierre De Lorie
- Julie Chow – Kin, ORI & WCB
- Bev Taylor – Chiropractor, SFU Grad
- Chantel – Physio, SFU Grad
- Nick Duran – Paramedic, Cousin
- Erin K – Physio Student, SFU Grad
- Kelly Rushby – Kin SFU Grad, Working at the PNE
- Max Donelan’s wife – OT
- Veronica – OT Student, SFU Grad
- Mike Foster – Physiotherapist , SFU Kin Grad
- Nathan Taylor – Strength Coach, SFU Kin Masters
- Darrek Hansen – Strength Coach
- Kelsey Green – OT, SFU Psyc Grad
- Bryna – Kin, SFU Grad
- Knows and OT working at Kelowna GH
- Knows and OT working at VGH, UBC Grad
- Kin Cup
- Were put up in the AQ on Friday, Half of them are still up.
- John will try to speak with Kin 142 at 10:30
- Set-up and take down:
- E-mail John if you can help out
- John and Torny will go to Costco on Thursday
- Meeting was adjourned at 1:19pm by John Abreu-Lanza. The next general meeting will be at 12:30pm on October 28st, 2009 in room 7540 TASC 2.